Wheeew what a scorcher this weekend has been. It was lovely to get some sunshine, I’m hoping that a massive dose of vitamin D will help give me a boost of energy for the week ahead. Last week and for the majority of this weekend I have been feeling a bit sluggish. Perhaps it was the huge amount of pastry I’ve consumed in the past five days (chicken pie), perhaps it was the muggy weather, or perhaps it was because all I’ve done since Thursday is watch football and read… we’ll never know for sure.
Here are five things that are putting a smile on my face this morning:
1) Marilyn by Norman Mailer. Looooove this book. I went to see my Dad on Saturday and he let me go through a pile of books he was going to give to the charity shop. I love free books. Amongst them was this gem. I have been struggling with Armies of the Night for a few months now. I just couldn’t get into it. Marilyn could well be my gateway into Norman Mailer’s work. I have always been intrigued by Marilyn Monroe as a person and cultural icon, although I have never watched any of her films. I find the mystery surrounding her fascinating and I also find the sixties interesting as well so this book is ideal for me. I’m hoping that afterwards I can read Armies of the Night more easily.
2) I finished books 1-3 of the Song of Ice and Fire saga. My thoughts on them are fairly negative but dislike them as I do, I’m going to continue reading them because that’s who I am. I’m a finisher. I’ll read anything and finish it…eventually. It might take me years but I’ll get it done. I’m planning a post for the end of this week which will have my opinions on books 1-3 in more detail (I know none of you can wait). For now, I’m just glad they are done with.
3) Painted my nails (toes and fingers) a pretty, summery coral colour. I feel fancy and put-together for once.
4) A homing pigeon came into my garden yesterday and strolled right up to me, then it took a leisurely saunter around my picnic blanket and pecked my cushions. It was so tame and laid back. I wish I could have kept it as a pet.
5) National anthems of the World Cup. There are some corkers. I’ve never really appreciated national anthems before but since the World Cup started I haven’t been able to get enough of them. France, Russia, Chile and Brazil are top dogs in my book. I’ve even gone as far as to look into translations of the lyrics and to explore the anthems of non-participating countries (Wales is brilliant, lyrically, and South Africa has a lovely anthem).
What’s making you smile this week?